COLLEEN HOOVER : ROMANCE OVERDOSE

credit to the owner



I supposed to post this a few weeks ago...

I was so consumed with Collen Hoover writing [that time]

   I really dont want to stick at one genre. I try to read historical, dystopia, thriller, mystery, even politic. But somehow I always end up reading Young Adult. I mean, YA mostly talking about love. Believe me, I’m so sick about it. ROMANCE OVERDOSE.

   The idea is I want to improve my ENGLISH. It’ll never enough with listening western music. Since I listen Kpop too. So I read ebook, in English version. A lot.

   I still think that Rainbow Rowell is the best at writing characters conversation. She wrote it naturally, like it was really happening. But Collen Hoover wrote the conversation look so much fun. If you read Hopeless Series, then you’ll understand what I mean.

   Speaking of Hopeless Series, I’ve finished reading all of them. Then I started to read Slammed and Maybe Someday. Like I said, I’m so consumed. I think this is not healthy at all.

   Some of Collen Hoover characters are really amazed me. Daniel Wesley, Six, Sky (I’m sorry, Holder not), Kel, Caulder, Kiersten (Why do I even like them in the first place), and Julia. I said to myself to buy Slammed series (especially Point of Retreat) when I get back to Banjarmasin, just because Kel-Caulder-Kiersten. They are not even the main character. That was like two minutes after I finished the series, but now, I reconsider it again. LOL.

   Colleen Hoover stories aren’t perfect. Sometime I feel they’re not logic at all. Like how come Dean Holder falling in love with Hope at age 6. Or the so called forbidden love between Layken and Will. I mean, come on Layken and Will only went to one date and they were developing their feeling so fast like five years couple already. Tbh, I’m against the idea of love at the first sight. Whatever you named it, love, connection, attraction, at the very first sight? In real life, it will only last a week. It was definitely physicall attraction. You’ll barely remember what happens before. So I can not accept the strong attraction between Holder and Sky or Layken and Will.

   It’s not perfect, maybe a little bit dramatic, exaggerate, and unrealistic. But it does stir your emotion to the bottom of your heart. Maybe Someday did it a lot. Damn, I hate that book. Ridge – Sydney was so messed up. I said that I dont want to read the ending, honestly I did. Curiousity kill the cat, you know. I am so disagree to Maybe Someday ending.

   Ridge Lawson, you are jerk. Even Etienne St. Clair is better than you. And for that exact reason, I’m more than ready to give Maybe Someday a one star ratting.

   Seriously, I’m not even kidding when I said it was insanely hurt to read Maybe Someday. First, I hate the whole cheating idea. In fact, cheating is unforgivable sin. I was once in Maggie position. It’s not the cheating that pissed me off, it’s how they hide the truth, keeping Maggie in the dark. At least, be honest you Ridge jerk. I understand that Ridge fights in all power he has to keep his loyalty for Maggie. But there wont be second if you really in love with the first one. I told you so, he choose Sydney.

   It was not Sydney fault too. Ridge is the one who dont know where his heart belongs. He is the one who keeps coming to Sydney. Then when everything was blowing up, when Maggie found out, he sent Sydney away like it was all her fault. The hell man, you are jerk. I dont even care if Ridge is music genius, or Greek god, or Christ Evans, or the fact that he has physical disability. He is jerk and doesnt deserve neither Sydney or Maggie.

   First, Ridge came to Maggie, almost begging in his knee for forgiveness. When Maggie said everything’s over with so realistic reason, their five years relationship, he finally understand where his heart belongs after three weeks? Just like that? Bcs Maggie doesnt want to take him back and Ridge doesnt have anyone and he knows if he come to Sydney, that poor girl will take him.

   What if whatever Maggie said is true and she still want to take Ridge back. Ridge definitely wont choose Sydney. Syd, you are still the second choice. Everything seems so smooth and easy for Ridge, despite whatever his inner struggle.

   You know what? If I am Colleen Hoover, I will put these three (Maggie-Ridge-Sydney) in different place and separate them forever. It’s fair. For the sake of reader’s emotion. Again, who can assure that five years later, Ridge wont find another Sydney? Dont be so innocent, people changes, so do love and feelings. They can not stay forever the same. Karma happens too.

   I supposed to like Ridge because he is music genius. Merlin knows I can’t resist musical person, fiction or not. But, no! Maybe Someday deserve one star ratting.

   As for Ugly Love. It’s good but it’s not remarkable. I can find another book with the same plot.

   I happened to read 8 novels of Colleen Hoover. Hopeless, Losing Hope, Finding Cinderella, Slammed, Point of Retreat, Maybe Someday, Maybe Not, and Ugly Love. I’m not bragging about this, in fact I feel it’s getting unhealthy. I just can’t help it, I’m too consumed with reading these days. Some of them involve too many physical attraction that will make you blush. Featuring ridiculous, unreasonable, not-so-logical excuse past life that happened to be trigger for throwing wrath and being so emotional wreck. Fortunately, her characters have these good sense of humor - Daniel Wesley totally own my heart for that.

   Again, it’s all just a story after all. We have our own very reason to like reading novels. We have our own personal genre. I choose what I read just like I choose my foods. If I want to eat snack, I read Colleen Hoover type. Good but not remarkable. If I want to satisfy my hunger, I read Rainbow Rowell. To gain something to learn. And last, if I want to stick at healthy food that will keep me alive to age eighty, I should read John Green, Tolkien, and those inspirational-damn-good-story from not-so-famous-author. Full of wishful thinking.

   As an amateur writer, I dont want to describe my characters so shallow. But I always end up writing them the same identical and generic feature. It is so ironic, though. Actually, it’s one of the reason I’m taking hiatus right now. Snack base is easy to read, easy to write. The ordinary meal consist of nutrition is fun and easy to read, but only professional can write them. The healthy food however, bored you to death to read it but sometimes leaving a deep hole inside your chest, hard to write and it’s like building a landmark to impress your readers.

   Seriously. I will never buy another romance novels unless it’s damn right deserve my money. Financial crisis breaks my heart

Post a Comment

0 Comments